New chapter every Saturday and Sunday at 8:30pm ET

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Bloop was packing for a hiking trip in the woods. He had a backpack on his living room table and the news channel was blasting away in the background. He was packing the last of his food when he heard the news reporter say, “A new creature has been spotted in the woods off Sunset Road. The creature looks like a small grey dog. It has been named the yourbuf. The yourbuf has been hiding for years and has never been spotted before. The yourbuf will attack lone humans and hates high pitch noise. Experts recommend no going into the woods alone until the yourbuf has been captured.” The news channel went to commercials. Bloop had been waiting months to be able to go hiking. He wasn’t going to let the yourbuf ruin it.

He picked up the phone and dialed Blob’s number. “Hello,” Blob answered. “Hey, it’s Bloop,” Bloop said. “Hey, what’s up?” Blob asked. “I was wondering if you wanted to go on a hike tomorrow afternoon.” Bloop said. “Sure,” Blob told him, “What do I need?” “Well I’ll worry about that. I have a large backpack. I should be able to fit everything in it. I need you to come because I saw on the news there was a creature called a yourbuf spotted in the woods around here. It won’t attack us together and it hates loud noise. If we bring whistles we should be okay,” Bloop said. “Well if you’re sure it’s safe… I’ll go with you,” Blob told him. “Alright, thanks bye,” Bloop said. “Bye,” Blob said.

Bloop finished packing his bag and put it on the couch. He grabbed his hat off the hook beside the door. He placed it beside the couch. Then, he went to his garage. He found two brand new whistles in the cupboard. He placed them with his hat so he wouldn’t forget them. Then, he went in the drawer of his desk and grabbed a compass and a map. Bloop knew the trail really but always took it along just to be safe. It placed it in the bottom of his bag thinking he probably wouldn’t need it.

Bloop woke up bright and early the next morning. He had a toast for breakfast, brushed his teeth, and took a shower. He threw his backpack on and put on his hat. He threw the whistles around his neck.

Bloop knocked on Blob’s door. Blob opened it. He was still wearing his pajamas. “Hey, I know I’m early,” Bloop said, “I was wondering if you wanted to go early. This way we have enough time to go to my favorite spot.” “Sure,” Blob said, “Just let me get ready. You can come in and watch TV.”

Bloop turned on the TV. He started watching an outdoor survival show. He heard the shower start running. He knew it could be awhile before he left. After a few minutes, the shower stopped. Then Bloop heard the sink and an electric tooth brush running. He didn’t think it would take much longer now.

Blob came out dressed in an old pair of jeans and a sweater. Bloop put on his bag and hat back on. He threw Blob a whistle. He caught it and put it around his neck. “Thanks. Don’t you think we might get lost?” Blob asked. “Nope, we won’t. I know these trails like the back of my hand. We’ll be okay,” Bloop said.

Blob put on a ball cap. They walked out the door. Across the street was a hiking trail that Blob had never seen before. They took off up the trail.

The trail was fairly smooth. It appeared to be the same all the way along. After a few hours, they arrived at the edge of a large cliff. Bloop took out some lunchmeat sandwiches and bottle water. They had a small picnic overlooking the forest below.

After they were finished, they began walking back the way they came. After awhile, they heard a noise coming out of a bush up ahead. Bloop thought it was the yourbuf. “Blob stop!” Bloop whispered. Blob stopped dead in his tracks. The put their whistles up to their mouths and blew as hard as they could, knowing if it was a yourbuf it would probably take off. A large squirrel came running across the trail. They were relieved. They kept walking all the way home.

Bloop and Blob arrived late that afternoon. They split up and went home. It had been a fun, yet tiring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment